Eskwelabs is partnering with the data team at United Nations Sustainable Development Solutions Network (UNSDSN) to launch our first public Data for Good hackathon. The virtual hackathon is for those who want to learn more about how the Philippines is doing in achieving the United Nations Sustainable Development Goals (UNSDG). We are looking for those who love telling stories with data.
Choose one of the UNSDGs and investigate the performance of the Philippines over time on this goal. You may combine the UNSDG data with any other data source. You are free to engage in analyzing the dataset and telling the story of the nation's trajectory as you will. If you're wondering where to start, consider trying to answer one or more of the following questions:
- What expectations and objectives has the government set for this goal? How has the Philippines fared in meeting those objectives?
- How does the performance of the Philippines compare to the global context? What about its regional peers? Why might this be?
- What appear to be the drivers of this performance? What other factors are related to meeting success in this goal?
- Where does the Philippines appear to be heading in the next 5 years in relation to this goal? What expectations should citizens have of future progress given current performance?
- What recommendations would you make to the government or civil society to improve performance for this goal?
- How is the data situation for this goal in the Philippines? Did you notice any significant data gaps? Do you have any recommendation for alternative indicators that would be useful to track the progress of that nation towards this goal?
For this hackathon, we provide you with some of the databases that the UNSDSN regularly uses in their own work as some of the most comprehensive global development databases. These are a fantastic starting point for any analysis of development progress. We also encourage participants to utilize any data that they find elsewhere that may provide more nuance and insight into the development progress of the Philippines.
- Global SDG Indicators Database
- Our World in Data
- World Bank Open Data
- Global Health Observatory Data Repository
- UNESCO UIS Statistics
- UNDOC Data
- UNICEF Database
How can our team join?
Anyone can join with 3 easy steps:
Register your team on this link Expect to submit a 1-2 minute video of your team pitch. Join our Slack community for hackathon updates!
Teams should consist of 2-5 members Deadline for Team Application: August 20th
I Don't Have a Team?
You can find a team member in our Slack community! We will only allow teams to participate in the hackathon.
Mechanics to find a team member on our #teammate-search channel:
- Introduce yourself! But include details like: Name
- Country (for Timezone purposes)
- Short Background about yourself
- Your project idea for the hackathon
- What type of teammate are you looking for?
- Lastly, your email address (if they want to connect privately)
- Browse through the channel with other members and connect with them by replying on the thread!
- Once you formed a team make sure to register your team on this link. Deadline for Team Application: August 20th
We will be selecting the top 5 Teams for the Hackathon Showcase to be streamed live on our Facebook page. Winning Teams will receive the following:
- A chance for each team to have their project featured on UNSDSN
- Mentoring Hours with Finn Woelm, Data Scientist & Analyst for UNSDSN
- Shortlisted for Data For Good scholarship at Eskwelabs Data Science Fellowship for Cohort 6
You may register for the showcase on the live stream on this link.