Data science is an increasingly dominant and potentially profitable field that has convinced many employees to consider a career change. That is why many data science schools have started setting up shop in the Philippines to cater to these success-hungry members of the workforce. But if you want a more meaningful path to the world of data science, we at Eskwelabs have come up with the Data Science Fellowship Industry Apprenticeship.
But what exactly is this Apprenticeship? Does this have anything to do with the ordinary concept of internship or on-the-job training (OJT)?
To help you learn more about this unique program that is part of our Data Science Fellowship, we have compiled a list of FAQs and their corresponding answers.
Frequently Asked Questions
- What is the Data Science Fellowship Industry Apprenticeship?
The Data Science Fellowship Industry Apprenticeship is a paid 8- to 10-week, project-based opportunity for Bootcamp students to get involved in the growing local innovation ecosystem. After completing the Bootcamp, selected students will get to work under the mentorship of a project manager in continuing the projects they created from the Bootcamp for startup clients.
- What is the duration of the Apprenticeship?
The Industry Apprenticeship is a part-time, project-based paid work opportunity that will run for 8-10 weeks. It will take place after the Data Science Fellowship Cohort 8 ends, in the first week of March 2022. Students are expected to commit 20 hours/week and will be paid in the form of a stipend.
- What are the qualifications?
- All Bootcamp students are eligible to be considered for the Industry Apprenticeship.
- Students must be able to complete all 4 sprints of the Data Science Fellowship.
- Students must be in good academic standing (Bootcamp performance, sprint outputs, and attendance)
- Who is a good candidate for this Apprenticeship?
- Students must be able to commit 20 hours/week for 8-10 weeks after the Bootcamp.
- High-performing students who work well in a team will be prioritized.
- Students without full-time employment may be preferred given their time availability.
- You must first apply to become a student for the Data Science Fellowship Cohort 8 by signing up here.
- Once you have signed up, you must:
During the interview, you will be asked by our Admissions Team if you are interested in applying for the Industry Apprenticeship. Once you become a student of the Bootcamp, you will automatically become eligible.
Please indicate your interest to join the Industry Apprenticeship program at the start of the Bootcamp. We will then be completing the selection of students based on sprint performance. The final list of students who will join the Apprenticeship will be notified before the Bootcamp ends.
A key feature of the Industry Apprenticeship is getting compensated for your work. Data Science Fellowship students who will proceed with the apprenticeship will be compensated with a stipend of P25,000. This means those who will participate as Industry Apprentices will be able to earn back almost 50% of their Bootcamp tuition, within 2 months after graduation.
The clients of the Industry Apprenticeship are start-ups at the Asian Institute of Management - Dado Banatao Incubator. These startups will present business problems in exciting digital fields such as e-commerce, telemedicine, agritech, and more. These problems are the ones that Industry Apprentices will try to solve using their data projects.
- DS Cohort 8 (1 week after the bootcamp ends), 8-10 weeks for 20 hours a week
- Send us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org
- You may also book a 1-on-1 chat with us by signing up here.
Important Dates for Data Science Fellowship Cohort 8:
- September 24 - Data Science Fellowship Open House (Register here for free!)
- October 24 - Deadline for entrance assessment and essay
- November 2 - Last day of interviews
- November 15 - Cohort 8 start of classes
- If you are curious about the Data Science Fellowship, check out this link to know more about the program.